How/when did you get involved in CrossFit?
Its has been almost a year (August 8th) since I started the 6-week challenge last summer. I had just finished grad school and was looking to get back in shape after not treating my body very nicely during grad school. I saw an ad on Facebook for the 6-week challenge and decided to give it a shot.
Do you remember your first workout? How was it?
My first workout was a Wednesday 12noon WOD’n’Flow with Stephanie. I remember there being burpees and a lot of up and down. So, it was really rough. By the time we got to the yoga portion the room was spinning. So, I quietly excused myself, walked into the bathroom, vomited, came back out, and finished the workout. Went home that afternoon and lay on my couch my whole body was screaming that I was crazy… yet I went back the next day for a Foundations class with Ramon.
Favorite lift and WOD?
Any stationary lift (squats and bench press) are my favorite currently.
I really enjoyed Death by Front Squat (even though I walked like a newborn giraffe for a few hours after). I also really enjoy Hero/Holiday WODs (especially done as partner WODs) like Murph and 1776.
I also like rope climbing.
What about your least favorite?
I prefer workouts with a predetermined number of reps. AMRAPs tend to psych me out. I like to be able to know the faster I go the faster it will be over vs a set amount of time, but the amount of work may vary.
Least favorite lift, because I’m terrible at them, is the overhead squat.
What are your fitness/health goals?
I joined to lose the weight that I gained in grad school and while the number on the scale hasn’t gone down as much as I was wanting my strength and ability have changed drastically since I started. My confidence in what my body is capable of has also improved. So really just keep seeing what my body can do and be healthy are my goals.
Is there a specific diet or nutritional habit that helps you with your goals?
I have learned that I have no self-control when hungry. So, I have gotten in the habit of meal prepping and always having a prepared meal in the fridge that I can be eating within 90-120 seconds after returning home (or cold at the counter depending on the day). If it takes longer than that, I’m in my pantry eating a snack while I wait for my meal. So, setting future hangry Danielle up for success is key.
Other than that, I have been trying to cut the majority of processed food out of my diet and cooking with whole ingredients. 90% of what I am eating currently I cook at home from individual ingredients like vegetables and seafood. The other 10% is a mixture of vegetarian protein like Boca and Morning Star, grains, and “cheat” foods.
I have been some form of vegetarian for 18 years (10-21: ovo-lacto vegetarian and 21- present: pescatarian)
What motivates you?
Overarching: Seeing myself get stronger and knowing I am healthier. I always enjoyed being the “strong little girl” who could help carry stuff at home and used to get ticked when teachers would ask the boys to help carry stuff and not the girls. But this is the first time I ever really focused on training that.
Day to Day: Going to the gym by myself and working out in a sea of people all doing their own thing isn’t going to keep me coming back for more. The social/class aspect of CrossFit for me is crucial. I learned early (high school swim and water polo) that I don’t self-motivate well so I need a coach and friends asking where I was to keep me honest and committed to showing up at workouts day after day.
Day to Day: Not trusting half-asleep/comfy-on-the-couch Danielle to make good decisions. 95% of exercise for me is getting myself out of bed/off the couch. I cannot wake up early to workout. I will look at the alarm say “nope” and roll over. Even going home after work to drop my stuff and change is a risk. So, taking a workout bag with me to work and going straight to the gym from there is key.
Do you have any advice for new members?
Make friends and come to as many of the social events as possible. I have so much more oomph behind my workouts now that I have friends at the box.
What do you hope to achieve in the coming year?
– I finally got double unders a month ago, so I’d like to improve there
– Upper body (be able to consistently do handstands against the wall and move up from box pushups to full pushups)
What was your favorite WOD of the Open? Least favorite?
I didn’t participate in the Open.
Anything else you’d like to add?
There is nothing better after a crappy day then lifting heavy stuff. I can’t count the number of times this year that life wasn’t going the way I wanted or I was having to wait from someone else to make decision that would influence me and I would just throw my hands up and say “okay, I have no control over this… let’s go lift some heavy sh*t.”